Planet maemo

Oksana Tkachenko

2015-03-10 Meeting Minutes

2015-03-17 00:41 UTC  by  Oksana Tkachenko
0
0

Meeting held 2015-03-10 on FreeNode, channel #maemo-meeting (logs)

Click to read 996 more words
Categories: council
madman2k

If you want to get your Xbox One/ Xbox 360 running on ubuntu you basically have the choice between the in-kernel xpad driver and the userspace xboxdrv driver.

Most of the guides recommend using xboxdrv as xpad has been stagnating. However using xboxdrv has some disadvantages; as it runs as a daemon in userspace you have to manually take care of starting/ stopping it and giving your user access to the virtual devices it creates.
Xpad on the other hand just works as any other linux driver directly inside the kernel which is more  efficient and hassle free.

Fortunately while pushing SteamOS Valve has updated the xpad driver bringing it on par with xboxdrv:

  • they added support for Xbox One Controller
  • they fixed the communication protocol – no more blinking controller light

Update July 22, 2015

Unfortunately there are still several issues with the SteamOS driver. This follow-up post discusses them and the solutions in detail.

The bottom line is that I updated the official linux driver with chunks found in the SteamOS driver, as well as in several patches floating around the internet. Code and install instructions are available at Github.

Categories: News
Oksana Tkachenko

2015-03-03 Meeting Minutes

2015-03-06 05:59 UTC  by  Oksana Tkachenko
0
0

Meeting held 2015-03-03 on FreeNode, channel #maemo-meeting (logs)

Attending:
William McBee (gerbick), Jussi Ohenoja (juiceme), Alexander Kozhevnikov (MentalistTraceur), Peter Leinchen (peterleinchen), Oksana Tkachenko (Oksana/Wikiwide),

Gido Griese (Win7Mac)

Partial: Philippe Coval (RzR),
Rüdiger Schiller (chem|st),

Absent:

Summary of topics (ordered by discussion):

  • Election system
  • eV: bank account
  • maemo trademarks

Topic (Election system):

  • MentalistTraceur hasn't looked into the PHP code for elections, yet.
  • juiceme is looking into change in authentication required for personal voting links to work.
  • juiceme: sending mail to just GA is possible with a bit of tweaking. For now, it could be a specific user table containing just the current GA members, to be used as input for the voting engine.
    In the future, a flag in the midgard_users table, to indicate whether the user is GA member or not, would be preferable...
    Chemist will ask merlin1991 (garage admin) about the group options in garage for the MCeV.
  • The modifications can be seen at:
    svn diff https://toosa.swagman.org/svn/maemo_elections@r3 https://toosa.swagman.org/svn/maemo_elections@r4
    Now keep in mind that juiceme *has* *not* *tested* *this* at all, he just wrote it like it *should* work
  • According to BGB (German, English), the only minimum is 1 EU-director.
    According to Bylaws, there should be at least 3 EU-directors (at least 21 years of age, EU residents or citizens).

Topic (eV: bank account):

  • Chemist needs a slot in his schedule free where the bank has actual working hours... the accountant was busy with being off work for all occasions chemist could free up so far - after that we have a bank account for MCeV (Thursday or next week).
  • About donations: MCeV will accept bitcoin as soon as we get it sorted! ;-)
  • We need to pester the US members of Hildon Foundation to do the tax declaration, Win7Mac has had several attempts with no response...
  • Complete history of transactions (donations and expenses) from past to present would be nice...

Topic (maemo trademarks):

  • Maemo Council will publish the announcement about Maemo trademarks registration-renewal on TMO, after chemist is back with a bank account number.
    The announcement will likely be published in the same way as meeting minutes are: at maemo.org, at talk.maemo.org, and at maemo-community mailing list.

Action Items:
  • -- old items:
    • The selected Code of Conduct (KDE) still needs to be published on (T)MO.
    • Looking into automatic calculation of election results ...
    • Addition of personal voting link into email template in the DB of election system...
    • Contacting freemangordon and merlin1991 about auto-builder: CSSU-thumb target, GCC versions?
    • Contacting X-Fade, as well as Freenode staff directly, about the GC.
    • Getting maemo trademark registration (everywhere?) renewed (and transferred to MCeV) by the end of February (or within six months since expiry date).
    • archiving Ovi/Nokia store, especially for Harmattan.
  • -- new items:
Categories: council
madman2k

The build-in opencv line drawing function allows to draw a variety of lines. Unfortunately it does not allow drawing a gradient line interpolating the colors at its start and end.

However implementing this on our own is quite easy:


using namespace cv;

void line2(Mat& img, const Point& start, const Point& end, 
                     const Scalar& c1,   const Scalar& c2) {
    LineIterator iter(img, start, end, LINE_8);

    for (int i = 0; i < iter.count; i++, iter++) {
       double alpha = double(i) / iter.count;
       // note: using img.at<T>(iter.pos()) is faster, but 
       // then you have to deal with mat type and channel number yourself
       img(Rect(iter.pos(), Size(1, 1))) = c1 * (1.0 - alpha) + c2 * alpha;
    }
}
Categories: News
Oksana Tkachenko

##########################
## English
##########################

Maemo Community e.V. - Invitation to the General Assembly 01/2015

Dear Member, our Annual General Meeting will be held on 29.03.2015 20:00UTC on IRC Freenode channel #maemo-meeting.

The agenda includes the following topics:

  1. Welcome by the Chairman of the Board
  2. Determination of the proper convocation and the quorum of the General Assembly
  3. Acceptance of the annual report for the fiscal year and actions of the Executive
  4. Election of the Board
  5. Amendment of Articles of Association / Association Rules
  6. Any other business

Requests for additions to the agenda must be submitted to the Board in writing one week prior to the meeting (§ 9 para. 2 of the Statutes). Please note that TOP5 is omitted if no changes are requested.

Yours sincerely
Oksana Tkachenko
Chair of the Maemo Community e.V. Council

##########################
## German
##########################

Maemo Community e.V. - Einladung zur Mitgliederversammlung

Sehr geehrtes Mitglied, dear Member, unsere diesjährige ordentliche Mitgliederversammlung findet am 29.03.2015 20:00UTC im IRC Freenode Channel #maemo-meeting statt.

Auf der Tagesordnung stehen folgende Themen:

  1. Begrüßung durch die Vorsitzende des Vorstands
  2. Feststellung der ordnungsgemäßen Einberufung und der Beschlussfähigkeit der Mitgliederversammlung
  3. Entgegennahme des Jahresberichts für das abgelaufene Geschäftsjahr und Entlastung des Vorstands
  4. Neuwahl des Vorstandes
  5. Änderung der Satzung/Vereinsordnung
  6. Verschiedenes

Anträge auf Ergänzungen der Tagesordnung müssen bis eine Woche vor der Versammlung schriftlich beim Vorstand eingereicht werden (§ 9 Abs. 2 der Satzung). TOP5 entfällt falls keine Änderungen beantragt werden.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen
Oksana Tkachenko
Vorstandsratsvorsitzende des Maemo Community e.V.

Categories: council
Oksana Tkachenko

2015-02-24 Meeting Minutes

2015-03-01 23:14 UTC  by  Oksana Tkachenko
0
0

Meeting held 2015-02-24 on FreeNode, channel #maemo-meeting (logs)

Attending:
Alexander Kozhevnikov (MentalistTraceur), Peter Leinchen (peterleinchen), Oksana Tkachenko (Oksana/Wikiwide),

Gido Griese (Win7Mac)

Partial: Philippe Coval (RzR),
Martin Kolman (M4rtinK),

Absent: William McBee (gerbick), Jussi Ohenoja (juiceme)

Summary of topics (ordered by discussion):

  • Election system
  • eV: bank account
  • maemo trademarks

Topic (Election system):

Topic (eV: bank account):

  • Deutche Bank: hopefully all papers are accepted, they are being processed by the bank currently.
  • General Assembly meeting is expected at 29th of March, so invitation will be published soon, and members will be able to contribute to agenda of the meeting before 22nd of March.

Topic (maemo trademarks):

  • Maemo trademark will be renewed in the grace period (six months, beginning from February), to avoid double transfer of ownership (from Nokia to HiFo and from HiFo to MCeV) and to transfer ownership to MCeV directly, instead.
    It will also provide time to gather opinion of the community on which trademarks should be renewed (probably registered anew), and which ones can be allowed to expire.
  • Maemo Council and the Board are preparing a draft of the announcement on TMO, for trademark-registration-renewal fund-raiser, and to publish the information on trademark registration - a summary of email exchange with Roschier Brand Attorneys.
    Hopefully, the announcement will be ready by the time the bank account becomes open for donations.
    The announcement will likely be published in the same way as meeting minutes are: at maemo.org, at talk.maemo.org, and at maemo-community mailing list.

Action Items:
  • -- old items:
    • The selected Code of Conduct (KDE) still needs to be published on (T)MO.
    • Looking into automatic calculation of election results ...
    • Possible addition of personal voting link into email template in the DB of election system...
    • Contacting freemangordon and merlin1991 about auto-builder: CSSU-thumb target, GCC versions?
    • Contacting X-Fade, as well as Freenode staff directly, about the GC.
    • Getting maemo trademark registration (everywhere?) renewed (and transferred to MCeV) by the end of February (or within six months since expiry date).
    • archiving Ovi/Nokia store, especially for Harmattan.
  • -- new items:
Categories: council
Oksana Tkachenko

2015-02-10 Meeting Minutes

2015-02-13 05:47 UTC  by  Oksana Tkachenko
0
0

Meeting held 2015-02-10 on FreeNode, channel #maemo-meeting (logs)

Attending:
William McBee (gerbick), Jussi Ohenoja (juiceme), Alexander Kozhevnikov (MentalistTraceur), Peter Leinchen (peterleinchen), Oksana Tkachenko (Oksana/Wikiwide),

Peter Pichler (pichlo),

Partial:
Martin Kolman (M4rtinK), Paul Healey (sixwheeledbeast),

Absent:

Summary of topics (ordered by discussion):

  • Extras: maintainer of libssh2-1
  • eV: bank account
  • maemo.org domain registration and maemo trademarks
  • Autobuilder: thumb toolchain and GCC versions
  • Election system: automatic calculation of results and personal URL in email
  • IRC cloaks

Topic (Extras: maintainer of libssh2-1):

  • sixwheeledbeast: who is looking after maintainers on extras packages?
    Someone wishes to be a maintainer of libssh2-1 package, they got no response from the current maintainer; there should be pending requests in Midgard.

Topic (eV: bank account):

  • Juiceme sent a thick wad of signed and notarized papers to Germany , expecting them to be filled out correctly :) .

Topic (maemo.org domain registration and maemo trademarks):

  • Thanks to warfare for getting the domain switch done so neatly. He graciously paid up the domains for a year at the same time!
  • Win7Mac, member of Hildon Foundation Board, has emailed to Roschier Brand Attorneys about trademarks renewal.

Topic (Autobuilder: thumb toolchain and GCC versions):

  • Would thumb target and-or GCC versions make building Qt5 on Fremantle possible?
  • There are currently: 3.4.4 (for Diablo and Fremantle); 4.2.1 and 4.4 (failed) and 4.6.1 (why non-free?) (for Fremantle)

Topic (Election system: automatic calculation of results and personal URL in email):

  • MentalistTraceur hasn't looked at the PHP code for elections, yet.
  • juiceme will add the email template to the code repository - currently there's only the DB general schema.
    Besides combining email and token in email template to form a personal URL, the log-in mechanism needs to be tweaked a bit, to retain the state correctly when entering through personal URL.
    The personal URL should help with voting in cases where copy-and-paste is a problem, such as N9, Jolla, GeeksPhone (Firefox OS)...

Topic (IRC cloaks):

  • Did not hear back from X-Fade, yet, about alternative Group Contacts for Freenode...

Action Items:
  • -- old items:
    • The selected Code of Conduct (KDE) still needs to be published on (T)MO.
    • Looking into automatic calculation of election results ...
    • Possible addition of personal voting link into email template in the DB of election system...
    • Contacting freemangordon and merlin1991 about auto-builder: CSSU-thumb target, GCC versions?
    • Contacting X-Fade, as well as Freenode staff directly, about the GC.
    • Getting maemo trademark registration (everywhere!) renewed (and transferred to Hildon Foundation) by the end of February.
    • archiving Ovi/Nokia store, especially for Harmattan.
  • -- new items:
Categories: council
madman2k

Introducing Sensors Unity

2015-02-07 14:23 UTC  by  madman2k
0
0

Sensors-Unity is a new lm-sensors GUI for the Unity Desktop. It allows monitoring the output of the sensors CLI utility while integrating with the Unity desktop. This means there is no GPU/ HDD support and no plotting.
If you need those you are probably better suited with psensor. However if you just need a overview of the sensor readings and if you appreciate a clean UI you should give it a shot.

Sensors Unity is available from this PPA

It is written in Python3 / GTK3 and uses sensors.py. You can contribute code or help translating via launchpad.

Overview

In contrast to other applications the interface is designed around being a application. Instead of getting another indicator in the top-right, you get an icon in the launcher:

The user interfaceThe user interface

The idea is that you do not need the sensor information all the time. Instead you launch the app when you do. If you want to passively monitor some value you can minimize the app while selecting the value to display in the launcher icon.

To get the data libsensors is used which means that you need to get lm-sensors running before you will see anything.

However once the sensors command line utility works you will see the same results in Sensors-Unity as it shares the configuration in /etc/sensors3.conf.

Configuration

Unfortunately configuring lm-sensors via /etc/sensors3.conf this is quite poorly documented, so lets quickly recap the usage.

  • /etc/sensors3.conf contains the configuration for all sensors known by lm-sensors
  • however every mainboard can use each chip in a slightly different way
  • therefore you can override /etc/sensors3.conf by placing your specific configuration in /etc/sensors.d/ (see this for details)
  • you can find a list of these board specific configurations in the lm-sensors wiki
  • to disable a sensor use the ignore statement
  • #ignore everything from this chip
    chip "acpitz-virtual-0"
     ignore temp1
     ignore temp2
  • to change the label use the label statement
  • chip "coretemp-*"
     label temp1 "CPU Package"

    Sensors-Unity Specific Configuration

Sensors-Unity allows using the Pango Markup Language for sensor labels. For instance if you want “VAXG” instead of “CPU Graphics” to be displayed, you would write:

label in4 "V<sub>AXG</sub>"

In order not to interfere with other utilities and to allow per-user configuration of the labels/ sensors Sensors-Unity first tries to read ~/.config/sensors3.conf before continuing with the lm-sensors config lookup described above.

Categories: Articles
Thomas Perl

Running Debian sid on Sailfish OS

2015-01-29 18:40 UTC  by  Thomas Perl
0
0
This assumes you have a Debian/Ubuntu host computer on which to run debootstrap. Theoretically you can run this on the device, but it's not as easy as on Harmattan (where you can just install the debootstrap package. On the host, run the first init and create a tarball:

sudo debootstrap --arch armhf --foreign sid sid
sudo tar czvf sid.tgz -C sid .
du -sh sid.tgz
# 98M sid.tgz
scp sid.tgz nemo@192.168.2.15:
To unpack the chroot tarball:

ssh nemo@192.168.2.15
devel-su
# password

mkdir sid
cd sid
tar xvf ../sid.tgz
chroot /home/nemo/sid/ /debootstrap/debootstrap --second-stage
chroot /home/nemo/sid/ apt-get clean
echo "deb http://http.debian.net/debian sid main" \
>/home/nemo/sid/etc/apt/source.list
To enter the chroot:

ssh nemo@192.168.2.15
devel-su
# password

mount --bind /proc /home/nemo/sid/proc
mount --bind /sys /home/nemo/sid/sys
mount --bind /dev /home/nemo/sid/dev
mount --bind /dev/pts /home/nemo/sid/dev/pts
cp /etc/resolv.conf /home/nemo/sid/etc/
chroot /home/nemo/sid/
apt-get update
Categories: chroot
madman2k

introducing sensors.py

2014-12-07 12:30 UTC  by  madman2k
0
0

sensors.py is a new python wrapper for libsensors of the lm-sensors project. libsensors is what you want to use to programmatically read the sensor values of your PC with Linux instead of parsing the output of the sensors utility.

sensors.py is not the first wrapper – there are two alternatives, confusingly both named PySensors.

PySensors (ctypes) follows a similar approach to sensors.py by using ctypes. However instead of exposing the C API it tries to be a object-oriented(OO) abstraction, which unfortunately lacks many features and makes the mapping to the underlying API hard. Furthermore it does not support Python3.

PySensors (extension module)  does not use ctypes and thus is more efficient, but if you write a python script probably compiling a extension module is worse than losing some performance when reading the values.
Additionally there is python3 support and also some OO abstraction. The latter is somewhere in between the C API and proper OO: sensors_get_label(chip_name, feature) is ChipName.get_label(feature) instead of feature.get_label().

So what makes sensors.py immediately different is that it does not try to do any OO abstraction but instead gives you access to the raw C API. It only adds minor pythonification: you dont need to mess with pointers, errors are converted to exceptions and strings are correctly converted from/ to utf-8 for you.

However working with the C API directly is tiresome at times – therefore there is also an optional iterator API, which is best shown by a demo:

import sensors

sensors.init()

for chip in sensors.ChipIterator("coretemp-*"):
    print(sensors.chip_snprintf_name(chip)+" ("+sensors.get_adapter_name(chip.bus)+")")
    
    for feature in sensors.FeatureIterator(chip):
        sfi = sensors.SubFeatureIterator(chip, feature)
        vals = [sensors.get_value(chip, sf.number) for sf in sfi]
        label = sensors.get_label(chip, feature)
        
        print("\t"+label+": "+str(vals))

sensors.cleanup()

result:

coretemp-isa-0000 (ISA adapter)
	Physical id 0: [38.0, 80.0, 100.0, 0.0]
	Core 0: [37.0, 80.0, 100.0, 0.0]
	Core 1: [35.0, 80.0, 100.0, 0.0]
	Core 2: [38.0, 80.0, 100.0, 0.0]
	Core 3: [36.0, 80.0, 100.0, 0.0]

for a more sophisticated example see the example.py in the repository.

Categories: News
madman2k

If you use your laptop as a desktop replacement, you will at some point get an external display and a mouse/ keyboard for more convenient usage.
At this point the laptop becomes only a small case of non-upgradable components.

Click to read 2118 more words
Categories: Articles
admin
Firefox for Mobile Firefox for Mobile Let's build a browser engine! Part 7: Painting 101 - http://limpet.net/mbrubec... November 5 from Matt Brubeck - Comment - Like