- Application Binary Interface, providing object code level compatibility.
- Application Programming Interface, providing source code level compatibility.
- A small application that integrates to Hildon Desktop.
- A name that e.g. Debian uses for the little endian ARM EABI (ABI
for the ARM architecture).
- Part of the maemo SDK that contains software development tools. The
SDK contains multiple devkits, e.g. doctools devkit.
- Application framework used in the maemo platform. Developed by
Nokia and based on GNOME/GTK+ technologies, currently in the process of
becoming an upstream project in gnome.org.
- Hildon Desktop
- The main user interface component of the maemo release Chinook, rewrite of maemo desktop.
- Internet Tablet
- Product category for Internet-optimized mobile devices with
touchscreen. The term was coined by Nokia, but is nowadays used more widely to
include other devices.
- Initial file system used as the root file system during Linux kernel boot e.g.
for hardware initialization (contains kernel modules and utilities for initializing
them). Mounted after boot to /mnt/initfs.
- Software platform for mobile devices developed by Nokia, based on
GNU/Linux and GNOME/GTK+ technologies. It includes proprietary components to make it work on the Nokia Internet Tablets.
- Developer community web site maintained by Nokia, main point
of reference for open source and third-party developers in general.
- maemo SDK
- Software Development Kit to create and port applications to the
maemo platform using a PC.
- Nokia Internet Tablet OS
- maemo platform + proprietary applications packaged
to an official device image provided by Nokia.
- Open Source Software Operations, Nokia organization developing and
integrating software for Internet Tablets.
- Root file system on the device.
- Part of the SDK that contains selected software components from
rootfs. Rootstrap is the root file system of a target inside Scratchbox.
- An experimental distribution based on Hildon for maemo, primarily of
interest for developers wishing to test "bleeding edge" features that are being
developed for future releases of maemo.
- Part of the SDK that contains ARM cross compilation tools, such as compiler and linker.
Maemo SDK Releases
- maemo 2.0 release. Corresponds to the Nokia Internet Tablet SE 2006
- maemo 2.1 release, including mainly bugfixes and some other enhancements. Corresponds to Nokia Internet Tablet SE 2006 version 2.2006.39-
- maemo 2.2 release (bugfixes and enhancements)
- maemo 3.x releases. corresponds to Internet Tablet OS releases
"1.2006.47-20", "2.2006.51-6" (maemo 3.0), "3.2007.10-7" (maemo 3.1) and
"4.2007.26-8"+"4.2007.38-2" (maemo 3.2)
- maemo 4.0.x releases, corresponds to Internet Tablet OS releases "1.2007.44-4" (maemo 4.0) and "2.2007.51-3" (maemo 4.0.1)
- maemo 4.1.x releases, corresponds to Internet Tablet OS releases 4.2008.23-14 (maemo 4.1) and 4.2008.36-5 (maemo 4.1.1)
- maemo 5.x releases, corresponds to Internet Tablet OS release "x.2009.xx-x" (maemo 5.x)