HowTo EASILY Partition your MMC card

format wiki

language en

How to create a partition on your MMC card

This procedure has been tested on a Nokia 770 with ITOS 3.2006.49-2

It is supposed that without any previous knowledge you should be able to accomplish the whole procedure. Ask for help in case something goes wrong.

WARNING:

WHEN PARTITIONING AND FORMATTING YOUR MMC CARD, ALL DATA WILL BE ERASED. SO THAT YOU SHOULD BACKUP A COPY OF IT AT YOUR DESKTOP PC
IN CASE THERE'S SOME VALUABLE DATA INSIDE.

First become root

First of all you need to be able to get ROOT access from an Xterm on your Tablet. If you don't know how to do it, please follow this link, and come back when ready: http://maemo.org/maemowiki/HowTo_EASILY_BecomeRoot

Install the needed packages and create partitions

Open an Xterm on your Nokia 770 and type as ROOT:

# apt-get install e2fsprogs
# umount /media/mmc1
# sfdisk /dev/mmcblk0
/dev/mmcblk0p1:1,15000,6
/dev/mmcblk0p2:15001,,
/dev/mmcblk0p3:
/dev/mmcblk0p4:

This will create two partitions in a 1GB RS-MMC card: the first one is VFAT (that's what number 6 means); the second one is LINUX_83. The size of the first one is almost 480MB (that's the meaning of the 15000); the second one is sized till the end of the card (that's what ,, means). Partitions third and fourth are empty. You may calculate your partitions based in my description, or read more about SFDISK. (Actually 15000 means cylinders, being each one of 32KB. So that 15000 cylinder x 32 Kbytes/cylinder = 480Mbytes. This means that 30000 cylinder x 32 Kbytes/cylinder = 960Mbytes). I suggest you to copy my example and just modify it slightly.

Now it's time to format the partitions

Type as root:

# mkdosfs /dev/mmcblk0p1
# shutdown -r now

After it reboots, then open an Xterm and type again as root:

# mke2fs /dev/mmcblk0p2
# shutdown -r now

In order to mount the partitions

The VFAT partition will be mounted by the system automagically at start-up. To mount the EXT2 partition you must open an Xterm and type as root:

# insmod /mnt/initfs/lib/modules/current/ext2.ko
# mount /dev/mmcblk0p2 /media/mmc2

N800 requires loading mbcache.ko before ext2.ko. Modules may be in some other folder than "current". Just look for it. (Sorry, not an N800 user)

CategoryHowToDevelopment