SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

David Greaves
Karma: 712
2009-12-24 11:19 UTC
Ove Kaaven wrote:
> Update:
>
> I've built a far better .deb based on SyncEvolution 0.9.1, and put it up
> at http://people.debian.org/~ovek/maemo/

Thanks Ove, got it, installed it.

> It'd be great
> if anyone would try to put cppunit into extras-devel (the debian package
> of cppunit can't be ported directly since it depends on qt3,

I'll take a look at cppunit and see if I can produce a non-qt maemo variant.

> However, the binary package is probably fairly ready for testing. It is
> compiled with optimization, optified, and stuff. It will synchronize
> your addressbook via the Evolution backend, as well as your calendar
> (including tasks and notes), via the Maemo-Calendar backend which I've
> spent the last two days writing, and which now seems to work fine for me.

OK, I'd love to help get this moved forwards but I'm not familiar with linux
syncing (I run IMAP/LDAP at home and used to use eGroupWare/iCal so I've not
needed to be up to now).

Could you help me get it working and I'll put some wiki docs up?

> Wasn't sure what URI scheme to use to let the user configure which
> calendar to sync, for now I've settled on "id:<calendar ID>", and
> defaulting to the same calendar that Nokia PC Suite would sync to.
So I have no idea what you mean here...
I'll start digging ut if yo could expand that'd be great. I'll be around on
#maemo on freenode over the holidays.

> Anyway, everything I've got on ScheduleWorld is now also available on
> the N900's builtin contacts and calendar apps... rockin',
Sounds brilliant.

Lets start with a simple "howto"... assuming this allows syncing against
evolution on the desktop and also assuming a linux only setup (no PC-Suite) how
do I find out what values to put in what fields in what desktop apps?
Then what do I type where to do a sync?
(meaning do I ssh into the N900 and push, or pull from the desktop cli?)

> There's still no GUI. For fun I tried to run the gtk+ ui (and again
> stumbled across missing build-deps when building it - the 0.9.1 version
> can't be built because of missing gnome-keyring, the git head version is
> slightly easier to build), but it was totally worthless on the N900.
> Guess it'd be necessary for someone to build a new GUI for this. Or
> maybe a control panel applet or something. Hmm.
>
> Still, it seems to work fine from the command line, if you really need
> to sync your stuff. That's all I need, at least...
It's a great start :)

David/lbt

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."
  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Ove Kaaven
Karma: 26
2009-12-24 12:23 UTC
David Greaves skrev:
> I'll take a look at cppunit and see if I can produce a non-qt maemo variant.

Cool, thanks.

> OK, I'd love to help get this moved forwards but I'm not familiar with linux
> syncing (I run IMAP/LDAP at home and used to use eGroupWare/iCal so I've not
> needed to be up to now).
>
> Could you help me get it working and I'll put some wiki docs up?

You could look at the SyncEvolution docs at http://syncevolution.org, I
think. But basically, SyncEvolution is a SyncML client. Somewhere, you
need a SyncML server. You can either install something like Funambol to
set up your own (major hassle, but doable), or get an account on
services like ScheduleWorld (non-free) or myFunambol (free).

Since you have no GUI, you need to use syncevolution from the command
line. Use syncevolution --configure (with the appropriate parameters,
for example scheduleworld to install the default scheduleworld profile)
to create a configuration. Once created, it might be possible to set
configuration options (including username and password) with more
command-line usage, but it's probably easier to just go to
~/.config/syncevolution and open the config files you find in
subdirectories there in some text editor. Fairly easy to figure out what
to tweak.

>> Wasn't sure what URI scheme to use to let the user configure which
>> calendar to sync, for now I've settled on "id:<calendar ID>", and
>> defaulting to the same calendar that Nokia PC Suite would sync to.
> So I have no idea what you mean here...

It's about one of the config options ("evolutionsource"). If you've used
the calendar program, you may have noticed that you can choose what
calendar to insert events and stuff into, even create new calendars.
(The "N900" and "Private" calendars exist by default.) Only one such
calendar can be synced, and you can configure which one (or be happy
with the default, which happens to be the "N900" calendar)

> Lets start with a simple "howto"... assuming this allows syncing against
> evolution on the desktop

Technically, it does not. You can, however, install syncevolution on
your desktop to sync Evolution with the myFunambol web service, for
example, and then install syncevolution on the N900 to sync it, too,
with myFunambol. That will allow you to keep your desktop evolution and
the N900 in sync.

>From what I understand, the syncevolution developers are working on
implementing a desktop SyncML server, which would allow you to cut the
middleman. I don't think they're quite there yet, though. For now,
syncevolution is only the client. Since I keep my stuff on web services
anyway (and don't use evolution), it's perfect for me, though.

> and also assuming a linux only setup (no PC-Suite) how
> do I find out what values to put in what fields in what desktop apps?

On the desktop, you could probably just use the sync-ui frontend to sync
Evolution or whatever against your preferred SyncML server. Might need
to create something equally user-friendly for the N900...

  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Ove Kaaven
Karma: 26
2009-12-24 13:17 UTC
Ove Kaaven skrev:
> David Greaves skrev:
>> I'll take a look at cppunit and see if I can produce a non-qt maemo variant.
>
> Cool, thanks.
>
>> OK, I'd love to help get this moved forwards but I'm not familiar with linux
>> syncing (I run IMAP/LDAP at home and used to use eGroupWare/iCal so I've not
>> needed to be up to now).
>>
>> Could you help me get it working and I'll put some wiki docs up?
>
> You could look at the SyncEvolution docs at http://syncevolution.org, I
> think. But basically, SyncEvolution is a SyncML client. Somewhere, you
> need a SyncML server. You can either install something like Funambol to
> set up your own (major hassle, but doable), or get an account on
> services like ScheduleWorld (non-free) or myFunambol (free).

Actually, I forgot that you could look into running OpenSync on your
desktop. I think it has a SyncML plugin that can act as a server. If it
works, then you could run syncevolution on the N900 to sync with
OpenSync on the desktop, and have OpenSync talk to your desktop PIM, be
it Evolution, KDEPIM, or whatever. I just can't give you a howto, since
I don't use OpenSync. I just sync with the web services myself.
  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Joseph Charpak
Karma: 121
2009-12-24 15:26 UTC
On Thu, 2009-12-24 at 14:17 +0100, Ove Kaaven wrote:
> Actually, I forgot that you could look into running OpenSync on your
> desktop. I think it has a SyncML plugin that can act as a server. If it
> works, then you could run syncevolution on the N900 to sync with
> OpenSync on the desktop, and have OpenSync talk to your desktop PIM, be
> it Evolution, KDEPIM, or whatever. I just can't give you a howto, since
> I don't use OpenSync. I just sync with the web services myself.

See http://www.cleardefinition.com/page/Sync_Evolution_and_GPE_on_N800/

for a howto to sync evolution on linux desktop with GPE on a N800. Not
exactly the same and possibly outdated, but should give you some place
to start.

Joseph Charpak
jcharpak@worldnet.att.net

  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Eugene Agafonov
Karma: 17
2009-12-30 20:25 UTC
>
> Update:
>
> I've built a far better .deb based on SyncEvolution 0.9.1, and put it up
> at http://people.debian.org/~ovek/maemo/
>
> It can't yet be built with a buildbot, primarily because not all of its
> build-dependencies exist in maemo-devel, cppunit in particular.

I tried to build fro source package you provided but build fails because of boostlib.

How did you solve it?

I couldn't find boost packages for Maemo5 so I have to build boost from source. Any other options?
  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Eugene Agafonov
Karma: 17
2009-12-30 20:26 UTC
>
> Update:
>
> I've built a far better .deb based on SyncEvolution 0.9.1, and put it up
> at http://people.debian.org/~ovek/maemo/
>
> It can't yet be built with a buildbot, primarily because not all of its
> build-dependencies exist in maemo-devel, cppunit in particular.

I tried to build fro source package you provided but build fails because of boostlib.

How did you solve it?

I couldn't find boost packages for Maemo5 so I have to build boost from source. Any other options?
  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

David Greaves
Karma: 712
2009-12-30 22:49 UTC
Eugene Agafonov wrote:
>> Update:
>>
>> I've built a far better .deb based on SyncEvolution 0.9.1, and put it up
>> at http://people.debian.org/~ovek/maemo/
>>
>> It can't yet be built with a buildbot, primarily because not all of its
>> build-dependencies exist in maemo-devel, cppunit in particular.
>
> I tried to build fro source package you provided but build fails because of boostlib.
>
> How did you solve it?
>
> I couldn't find boost packages for Maemo5 so I have to build boost from source. Any other options?

It's named oddly

http://repository.maemo.org/extras-devel/pool/fremantle/free/source/b/boost1.38/

David

--
"Don't worry, you'll be fine; I saw it work in a cartoon once..."
  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Tarek Loubani
Karma: 73
2010-01-01 05:17 UTC
Wow! This is amazing. My Calendar is just syncing now. Just to be a bit more explicit about the process, since I don't see it anywhere handy:

In ~/.config/syncevolution/<whatever>/sources/calendar/config.ini

type = maemo-events
evolutionsource = id:1 #<or whatever as described>

for /todo/config.ini

type = maemo-tasks

for /notes/config.ini type = maemo-notes

and for addressbook:

type = evolution-contacts
evolutionsource = file:///home/user/.osso-abook/db


Hope this helps others avoid the trial-and-error I went through!

WOW! Thanks so much for this!

tarek : )

>
> Update:
>
> I've built a far better .deb based on SyncEvolution 0.9.1, and put it up
> at http://people.debian.org/~ovek/maemo/
>
> It can't yet be built with a buildbot, primarily because not all of its
> build-dependencies exist in maemo-devel, cppunit in particular. (I had
> to install it locally into my scratchbox to build this.) It'd be great
> if anyone would try to put cppunit into extras-devel (the debian package
> of cppunit can't be ported directly since it depends on qt3, which
> doesn't exist on maemo5, but simply compiling out the qt parts works for
> me, I don't need them).
>
> However, the binary package is probably fairly ready for testing. It is
> compiled with optimization, optified, and stuff. It will synchronize
> your addressbook via the Evolution backend, as well as your calendar
> (including tasks and notes), via the Maemo-Calendar backend which I've
> spent the last two days writing, and which now seems to work fine for me.
>
> Wasn't sure what URI scheme to use to let the user configure which
> calendar to sync, for now I've settled on "id:<calendar ID>", and
> defaulting to the same calendar that Nokia PC Suite would sync to.
>
> Anyway, everything I've got on ScheduleWorld is now also available on
> the N900's builtin contacts and calendar apps... rockin',
>
> There's still no GUI. For fun I tried to run the gtk+ ui (and again
> stumbled across missing build-deps when building it - the 0.9.1 version
> can't be built because of missing gnome-keyring, the git head version is
> slightly easier to build), but it was totally worthless on the N900.
> Guess it'd be necessary for someone to build a new GUI for this. Or
> maybe a control panel applet or something. Hmm.
>
> Still, it seems to work fine from the command line, if you really need
> to sync your stuff. That's all I need, at least...
>
>
>
  •  Reply

Re: [SyncEvolution] SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Uwe Kaminski
Karma: 480
2010-01-03 19:05 UTC
Hi Ove,

Am Donnerstag, den 24.12.2009, 09:03 +0100 schrieb Ove Kaaven:
> Update:
>
> I've built a far better .deb based on SyncEvolution 0.9.1, and put it up
> at http://people.debian.org/~ovek/maemo/
> [...]
> Still, it seems to work fine from the command line, if you really need
> to sync your stuff. That's all I need, at least...

thank you so much for making a working version of syncevolution for
maemo5 including calendars and all the other sync sources!

There is already a brainstorming about the possibilities to add full
SyncML support to the N900 and syncevolution is the best solution (yet).

What are the next steps to make a solution for "everybody" out of your
development package? Is there anything to do for non-programming people
(like me) to make this project available for the community?

There is also a wiki page in maemo.org wiki where it's possible to add
some words about the status of the project:
http://wiki.maemo.org/Sync#SyncML
What do you think? Is this the right place for this?

Again, thanks for your (and of course Patricks and all the other
syncevolution developers) great work!

Best regards,
Uwe Kaminski (aka jukey)

--
http://internettabletblog.de

  •  Reply

Re: SyncEvolution in Fremantle

Patrick Ohly
Karma: 80
2010-01-03 19:33 UTC
On Wed, 2009-12-30 at 22:25 +0200, Eugene Agafonov wrote:
> I tried to build fro source package you provided but build fails because of boostlib.

We are careful to not depend on any Boost libraries, only the header
files. So to compile, all that is needed is a copy of
the /usr/include/boost files in a location so that "boost/*.hpp" can be
included.

SyncEvolution used to come with the Boost header files bundled in the
source code. Is that a useful fallbacks for systems which don't have a
Boost package?

I'm currently toying with compilation For Android, which requires
slightly modified/simplified Boost headers. If SyncEvolution had its own
private copy of the header files, I could push my modifications there.

--
Best Regards, Patrick Ohly

The content of this message is my personal opinion only and although
I am an employee of Intel, the statements I make here in no way
represent Intel's position on the issue, nor am I authorized to speak
on behalf of Intel on this matter.


  •  Reply