PythonMaemo

1. Python Maemo FAQ
    1. How do I install PythonMaemo on OS 2006 / Maemo 2.0 release?
    2. Where is the home page of Python Maemo?
    3. What's a good Python Maemo tutorial?
    4. How do I package a Python script for installation?
  2. Historical
    1. * You'd initalize pygame as per normal usage, and thus wouldn't need to make any changes to your python code

Python Maemo FAQ

How do I install PythonMaemo on OS 2006 / Maemo 2.0 release?

Don't download the .debs for 1.X from the Pymaemo home page or anywhere else--they won't work! You need to use the repository listed in the Python section of the 2006 Application catalog.

Where is the home page of Python Maemo?

Moved to http://pymaemo.sourceforge.net/

What's a good Python Maemo tutorial?

A good Maemo Python tutorial

How do I package a Python script for installation?

In addition to the method discussed in the tutorial mentioned above you might want to check out Packaging Python Maemo applications on a non-Debian platform which documents the experience of one Maemo Python newbie. Also consider bdist_maemo developed as a result.

Historical

The below is no longer entirely accurate; most importantly, the Python for Maemo project has since released a fully working end-user package of Python for install on the Nokia 770.

See the Python entry in ApplicationCatalog.

Notes from GopiFlaherty

There doesn't appear to be much, if any, activity on the sourceforge port. Nothing for months. In addition, there are some of us working on Python for Maemo independently of that effort.

My brief testing of the sourceforge port was reasonably successful. I found that pygame, for example, worked quite well. I started from the command line and ran some pre-existing code. It created a window which did not exist in the app list, but functioned properly otherwise.

I have built my own Python install with the Zope Object Database. It built on scratchbox and works on the device quite happily.

I tried building the standard tcl/tk stuff, and it makes my 770 reboot when I try to actually make a widget appear.
meredydd on #maemo on IRC says if you configure tk as:
configure tk --enable-xft it will work properly.

For pygame applications, I envision the following scheme to readily hildonise/maemoise/etc. them: * There could be a generic wrapper application, which would contain an embedded Python interpreter * You could start it as, say python-hildonise MyAppName /path/to/icon /path/to/source.py * It would properly initialize everything as needed, and then execute your python app

* You'd initalize pygame as per normal usage, and thus wouldn't need to make any changes to your python code

CategoryProgrammingLanguage