3. Games
      1. Fortune
      2. Rogue-like
      3. Strategy
      4. RPG/MMORPG
      5. Puzzle
      6. Simulation
      7. Arcade
      8. Emulators (including non-game oriented?)
      9. Other
    4. Graphics
      1. OpenGl
      2. GIMP
      3. Inkscape
    5. Internet and Networking
      1. NFS integration into the file manager
      2. An easy-to-use VPN tool not requiring to gain root
      3. OpenVPN (done)
      4. NTP or SNTP client
      5. TeamSpeak
      6. Gmail Drive
      7. FTP client
      8. Remote Desktop client (WIP)
      9. Citrix client
      10. curl & gwget (Done)
      11. Skype
      12. Wengo
      13. Ekiga
      14. OpenSync
      15. Kermit
      16. Transconnect
      17. Ethereal
      18. Mozilla Minimo (WIP)
      19. USENET
      20. Wikipedia stuff
      21. Marratech
      22. Mutt
      23. GKrellM
      24. NXClient
      25. Privoxy
      26. Tor
      27. RSS Reader with ability to sync to web based aggregator
      28. PPTP VPN client with mppe compression (WIP)
      29. Connection Quick Pick
      30. 770 USB host mode Internet connection via self-powered USB-featured mobile phones
      31. WiFi Sniffer
    6. System
      1. Onscreen Thumb Keyboard
      2. Keyboard modifications
      3. gpg
      4. Japanese Input Method/Text Display
      5. Bluetooth and USB mouse support
      6. xhost
      7. scim Chinese input method
      8. Printing
    7. Office
      1. LyX
      2. Gnucash
      3. Spreadsheet
      4. Wallet
      5. Sunbird
      6. Gobby
      7. GPE
      8. Access to Contacts & Organizer in Nokia cellphones over bluetooth
    8. Multimedia
      1. Client for MPD (WIP)
      2. Macromedia Flash Player
      3. MythTV
      4. Support for Theora Codec
      5. VLC Media Player (WIP)
      6. Music Notation Software
      7. Music Training Software
    9. Audio
      1. USB cable and File Manager
      2. Bluetooth Headset driver
      3. iTunes / DAAP Client (WIP)
      4. LastFM Player
      5. Slimp3
      6. GStreamer Voice Recorder
      7. Sound Recorder
      8. Real Audio Player
      9. PDa
      10. UADE
      11. XMMS
      12. Audio/music creation
      13. Pentagram based editor
    10. Programming
      1. LISP SBCL
      2. Perl
      3. PHP
      4. GCC
      5. Emacs
      6. sdlBasic
      7. Database
      8. Denim
      9. Scheme
      10. Squeak
  2. No yet sorted, please organize and insert above

This is a list of applications that users want. Applications will move from here, to ApplicationCatalogWip and then ApplicationCatalog, if/when someone decides to develop them. Please do not put feature requests for existing applications here: for those email the application author.

MoinMoinWiki Macro: TableOfContents

Wanted Applications

Accessories

mini vMac based MacOS emulator

With a 800*480 resolution, most of the old MacOS software should run just fine. E.g. Hypercard compatibility would bring thousands of apps to the Nokia 770, and with MACL (Macintosh Allegro Common LISP) you could even use SK8 and other MCL based environments (http://www.lemonodor.com/archives/000028.html).

THE Financial Calculator: HP 19BII emulator

There are some fine HP calculator emulators out there, mostly for other platforms. But the shape of the N770 makes it a great candidate for an emulator replacement for the HP 19BII, which HP stopped making a few years ago. The fact that no replacement exists is distressing for the thousands of users around the world, because due to a manufacturing flaw in the plastic case, our beloved calculators are rapidly falling apart.

I purposely bought my N770 because I could see it would make the perfect replacemnt for my crumbling calculator and now I, and I know many others, are waiting patiently for a bright programer out there to give us the holly grail.

See theses other HP model emulations for an idea of the ideal: Lygea Calculators - making product for PocketPC: See the HP scientific emulators mentioned below

Password manager (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalogWip - Password Safe.

Timzer Timer App

A time app that can support multiple timers and include countdown and elapsed displays. It also includes an alarm function for each timer. Previously available on the Zaurus.

Bluebox/Openbox style window manager/menu system

Supporting multiple desktops/home views, menus selectable by what area around the edge you click, very minimal footprint, easily themable.

Gcalctool

Home Page:

Graphical/scientific calculator

Something which could replace a decent HP or TI calculator. Giac/Xcas might be an idea (), and Qalculate! looks like it has a fair bit of functionality () - needs gnuplot though to produce graphics

There is a HP48 emulator for linux (http://www.tldp.org/linuxfocus/common/src/article319/x48.html). Hopefully it could be ported to run sideways to make goo use of the screen. It uses the HP48 roms, so it's a 'real' HP48 series.

maxima

Hand writting calculator / brainstormer

Something as xthink but without the failures

eBook Reader (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalogWip - hchmview; and AppliCationCatalog - FBReader.

Desktop Icons

An application launcher for the Desktop.

A left-handed mode

A left-handed mode (rotate the screen 180 degrees), so that the navigation buttons will be on a left-handed user's free hand (i.e. the right hand) so that they device can be used in the same manner as for right handed people (writing hand with stylus, free hand holding device and next to navigation buttons)

Comments: * Hear hear! (can this be done in software?) * To answer my own question, this can be done using the xrandr extension to X. The Yopy has it. Pleaaaaase?!? * Even more, according to Ramblings of a Madman, this is possible for the 770 in hardware. There is a bug in bugzilla for this! See here. * Simply being able to move the scrollbar to the left side would help. * Ramblings of a madman has a screenshot of a 770 with everything rotated 180 degrees. * It can be done with xrandr, but there are caveats.

Language Packages

It would be nice to have info about creating language translation packages so we can localize our 770 to our local languages and maintain language packages.

TomBoy

Home Page:

A note taking and organizing app, based on Mono.

The thing about Tomboy that would make it ideal for 770 is that you can forget about managing documents when using it, unlike with the built-in Notes application. And the hyperlinking support even makes it better than the good old Palm notebook.

With the addition of hand drawings support, it would be the ultimate note taking application.

TomTom GPS navigation system

As the portable GPS car system is a linux-running all-in-one car navigation system it would be nice to port it on maemo for the 770.

**The source code **:

**A wiki for the OpenTom project **:

View Your Mind

Home Page:

A brainstorming application

Dasher

Home Page:

Dasher is an information-efficient text-entry interface, driven by natural continuous pointing gestures.

Shark

Home Page:

IBM Shape Writing Technology, though IBM apparently has a patent on this method of text input.

HexInput

Home Page: Hex input method similar to 'Shark' but uses much doesn't 'guess' which word you meant (no inference). (License=? Seems open-source)

Graffiti

'''Home Page':

Handwriting recognition input method used on Palm OS.

Metro

Home Page:

Public transport guide for your PDA or Smartphone. (Not GPL, but just binary freeware). It seems not doing any linux port, even for linux PDA! Too bad.

Alternative: subway-maps as images also for Cologne Alternative: timetab -- text-only tool from . OTOH web interface exists, could be run over http on localhost.

Extensible Shell Script Applet or Application

Many of the ways to manipulate the 770 can be done by BusyBox shell scripts within an xterm window.

The idea of setting up and using a command-line driven mechanism is overwhelming to many "real" users, certainly the mainstream users that Nokia wants to attract.

My suggestion is that "someone" create either a simple application or an applet to launch any of the shell scripts contained in a known directory (like /media/mmc1/bin or some such). This would be an extensible means for those who know Linux to aid those of us who are less sure of our way around.

Application Menu Rearrange GUI

Allows for graphical management of the application menu in the Maemo GUI

Comix

Home Page:

Comic viewer in python. Can read in zip rar tar.

Education/Study Aids

Granule flashcard program (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalogWip - Granule.

Multimedia flashcard program

Flashcard program, including pronunciation via the speaker.

Periodic Table

A graphical view of the periodic table, and if you click on an element, you could get more information about it. Many examples available. *

Phrasebooks

Kind of phrasebooks for travellers, using the speaker too.

Astronomy software

E.g. like Planetarium for the Palm

Games

Fortune

Rogue-like

* [Angband](http://www.thangorodrim.net/download.html) (and [variants](http://www.thangorodrim.net/variants.html)) - development seems to have moved to http://rephial.org/ for the "Vanilla" (standard) version.
* [Slash'EM](http://slashem.sourceforge.net/), etc.

For Nethack, see ApplicationCatalog.

Strategy

Note: OpenGL games will be way too slow on the N770.

Emulators (including non-game oriented?)

• Frodo C=64 emulator. Already works on 770 but lacks GUI. See (http://pupnik.de/frodo.html)
  • UAE, Unix Amiga Emulator
  • Hatari Hatari, Atari ST(e) emulator (works at OK speed on the device even with sounds but stylus doesn't work properly and takes a bit too much memory)
  • DosBox port (I had a quick try, have a look here) for newer versions, see (http://pupnik.de/dosbox.html)
  • dsemu Nintendo DS Emulator too slow
  • cedega (opengl) or/and wine not going to happen due to lack of an x86 processor.
  • Super Nintendo Emulator (either "Gsnes9x" which is GTK based or "zsnes") See (http://pupnik.de/snes9x.html)
  • Visual Boy Advance Nintendo GameBoy Advance Emulator (SDL)
  • Basilisk II Apple Macintosh 680xx port
  • Einstein Apple Newton Port

Other

• Some kind of spout (an addictive little game) port. A Unix/SDL port already exist, but the website seems to be down. Currently written for Windows/SDL. psp port here

• Spider, the solitaire card game. My son's favorite.
  • Backgammon (gnubg.org would be good).
  • Oolite ().

Graphics

OpenGl

hardware accelerated open gl librairie, the n800 has a kyro powervr builtin dsp, this should be added to provide hardware acceleratedgames or graphics librairies

GIMP

Home Page:

Developer wanted! Sven Neumann intimated he would do a port when he got his 770, but now indicates he won't be able to get to it (in a comment on his website). A port or image-manipulation app based on GIMP code is practical, he says, because GIMP is not too resource-hungry; the console-only binary without any GUI is just 1.5MB.

Inkscape

Home Page:

Inkscape is a vector graphics drawing program. Also, the JabberWhiteboard for Inkscape would be useful.

Internet and Networking

NFS integration into the file manager

It would be nice if there were an extension to the file manager to allow the entry of an NFS or SMB server name which would then mount the specified server under /media, and allow access. Ideally, this mount would be cleanly unmounted if the network interface goes down (e.g. the cover is closed).

An easy-to-use VPN tool not requiring to gain root

OpenVPN (done)

See ApplicationCatalog - OpenVPN.

NTP or SNTP client

A client to allow the clock on the device to be synchronized to an NTP or SNTP server. Ideally this would be a daemon that is informed when a network connection is present, and then attempts to sync to a set of servers or to any time servers specified in the DHCP response.

The ntpdate .deb package is reported to work:

A port of chrony seems like a good fit. A port of the adjtimex code would also be a help, to change the default frequency. point: my tablet looses 11 seconds a day.

TeamSpeak

A VoIP program that is used by a lot of gamers. Allows voice communication over the net. Teamspeak is closed source, btw. If anyone is going to port it, its going to be the teamspeak-people.

• Gmail Drive

Using FUSE to access the storage space provided by your Gmail account. * * *

FUSE support would be a killer feature. As well as enabling the other plugins for gnome-vfs in the file manager

FUSE support would really make 770 a great machine, especially, since you can have multiple accounts, and gmail has lots of space. A normal gmail account has 100 invites. So: 100*2,6GB = 260 GB (Of course, you have to register 100 times, but it might be possible to make this a bit more automatic.)

FTP client

A simple ftp client for easy upload of files. It could be a part of the browser or the file manager or a separate application.

I (Jukka Alasalmi) am working on a port of guiftp, which seems to be quite suitable for the purpose. I don't have any web page for the project, though.

See ApplicationCatalog - tnftp (needs GUI).

Remote Desktop client (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalogWip - Rdesktop.

Citrix client

Provide a Citrix client

curl & gwget (Done)

See ApplicationCatalog - wget.

Possible GUI : gwget

Home Page: Skype

IP-phone, chat & instant messaging P2P client. proprietary, so not going to happen except by ebay itself. Comments: * I'm confused -- Skype has Linux versions, including a "Debian package (7.7 MB) for Xandros, MEPIS, Ubuntu, other Debian-based distros." Any possibility of this working on the 770? Or it not being too big a problem for eBay/Skype to port? * The "Debian package" (or whatever they provide) depends on two technologies: x86 and qt. Qt maybe perhaps one day be ported to the device, but compiling skype for arm can - if ever - only be done by the guys who have the source code - and that is ebay :)

Wengo

Microsoft Office Compatible programs that will read and write these style of files would be a killer application for this hardware.

Verger

Wengo Wengo is an Open source alternative for Skype and there is already webcam support. There is already linux, windows, mac os x and pocket pc version, a nokia 770 version could be good :)

But it is developped with qt :(

Ekiga

Ekiga is the new name for gnomemeeting2, the gnome VoIP client. Now it is in advanced beta stage (expected release Feb06). It supports both H323 AND SIP, with webcam. Ekiga is GPL and GTK based.

OpenSync

Home Page:

When it's done (note that the GPE pim suite already supports opensync)

Kermit

Scriptable file transfer and terminal emulation software. Executing ssh from within kermit gives you great flexibility with great security!

Transconnect

Home Page: transconnect

TransConnect is a program to allow you almost complete access to the internet through a HTTP proxy like squid - ssh ftp browsers xchat almost anything

Ethereal

Home Page:

GTK2-based network sniffer / analysis tool.

Mozilla Minimo (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalog - MANaOS.

USENET

• Port USENET newsreader (offline capability?) (slrn, pan, ...)
  • Port NZBGET

Wikipedia stuff

• do something like TomeRaider (proprietary stuff), to have Wikipedia (with small pics) on a memory card
  • without the pictures already possible as soon as dict is works (using wik2dict)
  • (and... please let me buy >1 GB RS-MMC cards ;)

Marratech

Home Page: , A client for realtime conferencing over the Internet using multiuser audio, video, chat, whiteboard shared web etc. Clients exist for Windows, Linux and MacOSX. proprietary, but can still happen!

Mutt

• mutt as terminal mail client...wohoooo

GKrellM

Home Page:

Not for monitoring the Maemo system itself as much as for logging into gkrellmd (i.e. gkrellm2 -s servername) running on other servers, so the Maemo can be like a portable system monitor for a server room.

NXClient

Home Page:

To allow remote management of servers with a compressed connection to better utilize slow links. Killer Feature!

Privoxy

Home Page:

Internet filtering proxy. Allows filtering of cookies, popups, ads, etc.

You can run privoxy now without waiting for a port ! See the HOWTO on ITT.

Tor

Home Page:

An anonymous internet communication system.

RSS Reader with ability to sync to web based aggregator

An RSS/Atom news reader with the ability to sync (for offline reading) to a web based aggregator (Google reader, bloglines, ... etc) using their respective APIs. This way your feeds are always in sync, wherever you go. (Killer app in my opinion). I think OPML provides status informations for read feeds. But neither Google reader nor bloglines, i think.

PPTP VPN client with mppe compression (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalogWip - PPTP client.

Connection Quick Pick

I use my 770 at the office and home, where I have Wifi, and also out and about when I use GPRS on my phone via bluetooth. It would be really convenient to have a little system bar widget that let me quickly switch to a different connection. At the moment, unless I am missing something, I have to open up the connection manager and make about 7 clicks to change the connection.

Even better would be if the 770 would fall back to the next connection in the list if one didn't work so that it would automatically find the WiFi network at home or office and, if neither of those were available, use my phone for GPRS.

770 USB host mode Internet connection via self-powered USB-featured mobile phones

Since all mobile phones are self-powered, and many of them have USB-miniport but not Bluetooth, is it possible to got Nokia 770 in host-mode and surf WWW via GPRS/EGDE/CDMA phone network?

WiFi Sniffer

Something akin to Netstumbler with a high quality GUI active display showing APs, SSIDs, RSSI, channel and power settings.

System

Onscreen Thumb Keyboard

Two letters per key like the Blackberry 7100 series.
This would enable plenty of room for each key so there is little chance of miss entry.

Two modes: 1 . Dictionary Predictive Mode whereby each onscreen key is pressed once and the dictionary resolves the most likely match. 2 . Manual Mode whereby the leftmost value of each key requires a single press and the rightmost value a doublepress.

It should work out to be at least twice as fast as either of the current onscreen input methods and a lot less infuriating.
If the onscreen keyboard were a transparent virtual overlay it would also allow an undisrupted fullscreen browsing and email experience.

NONONONONONONO!!! PLEASE not like the 7100! These really are the spawn of satan! The "like-qwerty-but-NOT-QUITE" keyboard is a usability nightmare! Yes - I have to support these horrors, and it's simply /awful/ for users to get used to another keyb layout :-)

Keyboard modifications

I would like to suggest following modifications: 1 . Option to make keyboard translucent, with customizable alfa channel value. 2 . Option to enable shift to cycle keyboard through following states : (small letters, single capital letter, locked capital letters), like on Symbian UIQ 7.0 3 . Option to easy add customizable keyboard layout (eg. web-sufring optimized, word-processor, programming, number entering) 4 . Option to choose different keyboard sizes (small, medium, large) 5 . esc, ctrl, alt keys

6 . support for lefthanded people: wordprediction should optionally be at the right or the left side of tthe spacebar (i'd love to use it, but i can't see predictions while typing)

gpg

A port of gpg would be very useful. I haven't had a chance to look at /dev/random, but if it doesn't suffice then perhaps something like the Entropy Gathering Daemon could meet our needs? Note that EGD is written in perl.

Home Page: Home Page:

• GnuPG will be part of Hildon Application Framework at some point-- it's already in the CVS.

Japanese Input Method/Text Display

The ability to display Japanese text and to type phonetically and convert into kana, and kanji, just like in Gnome. Home Page: ,

Bluetooth and USB mouse support

Since it seems to be possible to plug a keyboard to 770, why not mouse as well. A powered USB hub would most likely take in simultaneously a mouse and a keyboard.

Current Keyboard support Home Page:

xhost

xhost command so one can run xhost +mydesktop and then use x2x from the desktop to move the mouse and kb focus to the 770 and input data.

scim Chinese input method

scim Chinese input method ( using pinyin ) add Chinese input ability for 770.

Printing

Provide printing support to blue tooth enabled printers.

Office

LyX

LyX + pdflatex (no need for full LaTeX toolchain)

LyX is a document processor that encourages an approach to writing based on the structure of your documents, not their appearance. It is released under a Free Software / Open Source license. LyX is for people that write and want their writing to look great, right out of the box. No more endless tinkering with formatting details, 'finger painting' font attributes or futzing around with page boundaries. You just write. In the background, Prof. Knuth's legendary TeX typesetting engine makes you look good. On screen, LyX looks like any word processor; its printed output -- or richly cross-referenced PDF, just as readily produced -- looks like nothing else. Gone are the days of industrially bland .docs, all looking similarly not-quite-right, yet coming out unpredictably different on different printer drivers. Gone are the crashes 'eating' your dissertation the evening before going to press. LyX is stable and fully featured. It is a multi-platform, fully internationalized application running natively on Unix/Linux and the Macintosh and modern Windows platforms.

Gnucash

Either a port of the full Gnucash application, or a stripped-down version suitable for entering checks/credit card transactions/etc. while out, with the ability to export the results to the full Gnucash app at home. Ideally the data on the Nokia would be encrypted and would require the entry of a passphrase to access.

• Much personal accounting software, including Gnucash, supports import of data in OFX format. A simple data entry app that generates OFX files for later import to Gnucash would be a very useful tool.

Spreadsheet

Lightweight basic math functions, suitable for lists.

Wallet

Sunbird

or similar calendar tool that support iCal standards. It would be very useful a way to suscribe to remote calendars

Gobby

Home Page:

A collaborative editor. Would be really nice in zeroconf/adhoc mode during meetings.

GPE

• a GPE-plugin in the status-bar at the top would be cool. it could pop up reminders and such things.

Access to Contacts & Organizer in Nokia cellphones over bluetooth

• I'd love to be able to edit the contacts, dates and notes in my cellphone. There should be a way to do this over bluetooth? Just use the 770 as a more comfortable front-end for the functions built into the phone.

Multimedia

Client for MPD (WIP)

A client for MPD (Music player Daemon), seen the page of project and a list of MPD clients.

WIP, see ApplicationCatalogWip - MaeMP

Macromedia Flash Player

A port of the Macromedia Flash Player 7 (8 when available). It's available on Linux, can play videos and is a much better client for Flash RIAs. While available on Linux, it is Proprietary so must be ported by Macromedia, and they never released any ARM port of Flash Player

Added Comment: Flash player is available for mobile phones. Many mobile phones have an ARM cpu, therefore I assume there must be an ARM ported version of flash as well.

MythTV

Home Page:

Frontend for MythTV PVR

Support for Theora Codec

• Add the possibility to play ogg theora videos extending the maemo-video player and enabling ogg in the gstreamer-backend (?). See also

• Ari Jaaksi says: "There's nothing technical that prevents it. However, the 770 is a consumer device. The challenge is that there is not much Vorbis and Ogg Theora content right now." http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8351

VLC Media Player (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalogWip - VideoLanClient.

Music Notation Software

Added Comment: Something along the lines of Finale or Finale Notepad, perhaps using scroll mode instead of full page view.

Music Training Software

GNU Solfege - Smarten your ears

Audio

USB cable and File Manager

In the audio section, it should be good to have a powered master USB cable, to be able to download/upload MP3 files from other USB devices you find on the fly, from friends you meet in the tube or in the park. Such idea exists for some PocketPC.

Bluetooth Headset driver

Would like to be able to use BT headset for Google Talk, music listening, etc.

iTunes / DAAP Client (WIP)

See ApplicationCatalogWip - Rhythmbox.

LastFM Player

For listening to personally tuned webradio. Combined with LastFM plugin in Amarok on the main computer it means you can listen to your favo music on the 770 without having to take mp3's with you.

• --- /!\ Edit conflict - other version: ---- Maybe Shell.FM could be used as base to build a GUI on? It's a console based lastfm player for linux.

Home Page: Shell.FM:

• --- /!\ Edit conflict - your version: ---- Maybe Shell.FM could be used as base to build a GUI on? It's a console based lastfm player for linux.

Home Page: Shell.FM:

• --- /!\ End of edit conflict ----

Slimp3

Softsqueeze Emulator Audio Client.

GStreamer Voice Recorder

In PythonMaemo, similar to GStreamer Voice Recorder in Mono.

Sound Recorder

Simple like Gnome sound recorder

Audacity port?

Real Audio Player

Want to play Smil, X Ram and MMS files for tv/radio such as BBC (UK), RTE 2FM, RTE Radio 1, FM104, 98FM, Today FM etc. (Ireland)

Home Page:

PDa

Home Page:

PDa is a clone of the computer music system Pure Data (Pd, for short) that runs on small machines. Pure Data is a computer music language, that is widely used around the world and resembles MAX/MSP.

UADE

Home Page:

Unix Amiga Delitracker Emulator plays old Amiga tunes through UAE emulation and cloned m68k-assembler Eagleplayer API.

XMMS

the popular music-player would be nice to have on the 770. especially if the plugin could find a place in the bar at the top.

Audio/music creation

• SuperCollider, first sclang, later scsynth might be possible
  • Some tracker, Cheesetracker?
  • Audio editor, Audacity, Rezound, Sweep ...
  • Sampler

Pentagram based editor

Some editing device making heavy use of the touchscreen. As the composer hits the pentagram, it should scroll, so input can proceed at fast speed. Note value can be input via a gesture or optionally detected via internal timing between strokes.

Programming

LISP SBCL

Home Page:

Multiplatform Common LISP implementation

see porting notes

Perl

Home Page:

A programming language * Xavier Calbert wrote on the Maemo developer list that he had perl running on the 770 , adding: "I will try now to turn it into one or several deb packages."

PHP

A programming language

Home Page:

GCC

Gcc could be great...

Emacs

Home Page: [http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs.html}

A fully-featured Editor/IDE.

sdlBasic

Home Page:

A programming language to easily programm 2d games or multimedia applications.

Database

A database (e.g. for a mini knowledgebase or field data entry). SQLite? Library as app-installer package available at

Denim

Home Page:

A UI prototyping tool that loves the stylus

Scheme

Home Page:

The Scheme Programming Language.

Spefically PLT-Scheme, for the nice libraries that it comes with. The DrScheme programming environment wouid be too much, but the graphical libraries would be good too. UPDATE: mzscheme has been built - get it from the ApplicationCatalog page. But this whishlist item still stands as it lacks the libraries that make it so cool.

Squeak

Home Page:

A Smalltalk environment. Very useful for convert the Nokia 770 in a learning tool for kids. And to use (create and read/experience) Sophie books (see if:book announcement)

No yet sorted, please organize and insert above

• 5250 emulator like Mocha
  • Something like Gournal(gtk) or Jarnal(java), just a notes program that would let you take notes over a background image (or pdf) and store them together. If Microsoft Journal is a killer app in MS TabletPCs, why not something better in Linux?

• J2ME compatible runtime & application manager: I am currently working on developing one, is based on another OpenSource projects and works pretty well for MIDP1 and partially MIDP2. (in progress, please be patient)

• A bluetooth remote control for my laptop (for presenatations, audio/video player etc). Something like GBTrc

• HP48/49 Emulator (quite popular and powerful calculators).

• you should go fine with the available free software calcs + gnuplot
    • I'd love to see something like "Power48" for the PalmOS (http://mobilevoodoo.com/power48.htm). Rotate the 770 90 degrees and have a full HP48GX. Try compiling this patched version of x48 which puts the keyboard beside the screen for landscape use (http://sense.net/zc/x48/)
  • XStroke port (or another handwriting recognition system).

• FUSE-Support (i.e. for make your 770 unique by rs-mmc-card). see section "Gmail Drive"

• voice command software integrated with PDA Dual Purpose Speech

• GPS::Tron "The players move in real space, they are tracked by GPS and their position influences their position in the game."

• VNC (any flavor that supports scaling)

• PodCast client. Updates itself if (specific, means: home wifi) net availabe. For audio video and text feeds.

• A SAMBA (nfs too!) client, or a patch to the File Manager to allow access to shared directories on the network. MP3 player should be able to use files from PC/NAS using this

• Main menu editor. The current layout is suitable for exploring and "marketing" the device. ("Ahhhhh there is a video player included!") But I think most people will start media players from the file manager anyway and useful application are hidden in submenus.

• CAD / 3D modelling viewer. Is it at all possible to create applications thet could view a CAD drawing in this? Or even better a 3d model like a simple sketchup one? I guess processor speed isnät up to the 3d, but as an architect it would be extraordinary.

• An app which syncs with the PIM data using SyncML and can create and send SMS.

• A diary which can keep personal thoughts and notes with the ability to post to the web with the atom API.

• A presentation viewer - for example based on a highly stripped down OOo Impress - capable of viewing .ppt and maybe .odp. The ability to make quick notes to accompany the presentation would be useful too. imposter would be a better idea, it's much smaller, faster and less confusing as impress. Or S5: A Simple Standards-Based Slide Show System which does not require compilation (it's XML/CSS/JavaScript driven).

• Some kind of DJVu viewer.

• Some kind of Finance Manager like Kmymoney or XFinans

• A vector-based sketchpad with shape recognition would be nice so that you can draw freehand and then get perfect lines, arcs, etc. Could then export to SVG, etc. I had a nice freeware tool for the Palm called ArtelopeV , probably there was something similar on the old Newtons ?

• StarDict offline dictionary .

• Audio: FLAC support Word Processing: LyX / teTeX (DVI viewer) Office: Openoffice Windows manager: Blackbox Other: synaptic package manager, Codeweavers Cross-over office

• Dead Pixel Software Utility to show pixel problems on display. MS-Windows independent developers have made already for free downloads. Are there any similiar linux programs that can be ported over to 770 maemo format?

• Open Source Statistical Package R.

PeopleWhoWantStuff

• Socks client: Socks proxy support at the packet data connection level (in advanced connection settings, along with http/https/ftp proxies), or a applet which turns on/off a socks client. Some of us out there have crummy service providers blocking all our ports!!!

• A software wich can handle ziiped files .zip, .tar.gz, and so on (and with a nice GUI if possible)

• "scim Chinese input method for 770"

• As by install some Chinese fonts, displying Chinese is now possible ( although some built-in utility such as Opera browser can not display Chinese correctly), Input method of Chinese will be a must for 770.

• scim-chinese port (support pinyin input method) is prefered.

Tagged
WIP
games
update
status