N800DeveloperDeviceProgram

1. When are the invitations sent?
  2. Who is invited?
  3. What if I think I also deserve an invitation?
  4. What do I do with this code?
  5. Nokia shops don't cover my country, do I still have a chance?
  6. Will the invitation codes last forever?
  7. Are the codes attached to names?
  8. Are the codes attached to shops?
  9. When the final wave of discounts will be sent?
  10. Have the non-European codes/invitations already been sent?
  11. How about a direct link to the sales page?
  12. How do I find out if the discount code is from US or Europe
  13. If I don't live in any of the supported countries, can I still make use of the offer?
  14. When I try again to purchase it says my coupon code is invalid
  15. Will the N800 be made available in additional countries by June 30 or is the current list of countries final?
  16. I have problems with the UK shop, what am I doing wrong?
  17. Will the money collected be given to an open-source organization, like last time?
  18. Add your question here

Details regarding the N800 Developer Device Program. If you have more questions please list them here.

MoinMoinWiki Macro: TableOfContents

When are the invitations sent?

The EU discount codes are out. US discount codes willl be sent Tuesday 23Jan2007.

Who is invited?

These are the criteria we have been using for the invitations:

• People recommended by core Maemo developers (Nokia employees).
  • Active project members at garage.maemo.org.
  • Maintainers of tools and libraries being ported to Maemo.
  • Active contributors in maemo-developers and maemo-users.
  • Active contributors to the #maemo IRC channel.
  • Upstream developers of core IT OS components and applications.
  • Companies/professionals working with us and involved in the free software community.
  • Internet Tablet / Maemo evangelists, creative bloggers and independent media.
  • Linux embedded insiders.
  • Also some FLOSS VIP people (where "I" stands for Interconnected).

What if I think I also deserve an invitation?

We are sending a first wave of invitations that should cover all our core contributors’ spectrum. Then we will go for missed people and unusual cases in a second and final wave. If you didn't get an invitation after the first wave and you really think to be in the group of top 500 humans deserving one, you will have an opportunity to push yourself as a candidate. Apply to Quim dot Gil at maemo.org.

What do I do with this code?

With the discount code you will be able to purchase a N800 Internet Tablet from Nokia online shops for 99€ or equivalent price in your currency.

Nokia shops don't cover my country, do I still have a chance?

It is possible to buy the N800 only from some countries, due to commercial and legal factors totally out of the control of the Maemo team. All we can do is not filtering candidates by country of residence. This means that residents of "non-supported" countries might get an invitation as well. If this is your case you will need to decide yourself how to make the best use of your discount code.

Will the invitation codes last forever?

The codes will expire on 30th June 2007.

Are the codes attached to names?

The codes are not related to names of people. Whoever introduces the code gets the discount. This means that you need to keep your code in a private and safe place. This also means that it can be used by a good friend if you are living in a country not reached by the Nokia online shops.

Are the codes attached to shops?

Yes, there are codes for the European shop and codes for the US shop.

When the final wave of discounts will be sent?

The maemo team wants to close the program asap - hopefully the last codes will be sent on Friday 26th January.

Have the non-European codes/invitations already been sent?

Yes, finally. It took a little more time to implement the discount codes in the US shop and we decided not to send the invitations before the issue was solved.

How about a direct link to the sales page?

We didn't provide a direct link to the sales page in the email sent because a) it would depend on the country and other factors and b) we didn't know which US distributor would deal with the discounts till late. Thanks for pointing this: "(Hopefully this link to the sales page works for you.)"

How do I find out if the discount code is from US or Europe

Good point that would have saved some confusion, yes. For most people the discount code worked at the country where she is living. We have made some mistakes with some moving targets, though. In case of doubt contact to us answering to the email received.

If I don't live in any of the supported countries, can I still make use of the offer?

See above: 'Nokia shops don't cover my country, do I still have a chance?'

When I try again to purchase it says my coupon code is invalid

Keep in touch with the phone/mail customer support from the online shop, they can help you more than us. If you have tried everything with them and you still haven't got your order in place, contact us replying to the email sent to you.

Will the N800 be made available in additional countries by June 30 or is the current list of countries final?

You can consider it final.

I have problems with the UK shop, what am I doing wrong?

Probably nothing. Try this URL: http://direct.nokia.com/countries.aspx?model=N800&add=true&country=GB . It should work (otherwise contact phone/mail support of the UK shop).

Will the money collected be given to an open-source organization, like last time?

Add your question here