HowtoSynergy770

1. HOWTO - 770 Synergy Configuration
  2. Background
  3. Pre-reqs
  4. Steps
  5. Known issues

HOWTO - 770 Synergy Configuration

Background

I wanted to replicate the copyanywhere shared clipboard function my Psion 5 provided.

Requirements:

• Ability to share clipboard data between machines
  • Fast method of data entry using keyboard
  • Move mouse down from my main machine (XP) and take control of my 770

This way I can grab data I am working on, copy and paste, and walk away with it. Also useful for consolidating notes and travel information into a text file or maemopad+. The copy and paste works well between Excel and gnumeric which is also very useful for meetings.

Pre-reqs

Network connection to Synergy server. I use usbnet so when I am tethered at my desk I can just plug in the USB.

Steps

1. Install libSM.so.6 using application manager in "red pill" mode (seems to be required by QuickSynergy)
  2. Install QuickSynergy from maemo.org The 770 in my set up is acting as a client. Just enter the hostname of the server in the client tab of QuickSynergy and hit start.
  3. Configure synergy server My synergy server config file (in my case XP) Code:

section: screens
        mainpc:
        Nokia770-49:
    end
    section: links
        mainpc:
            down(10,100) = Nokia770-49
        Nokia770-49:
            up = mainpc
    end
    section: aliases
        Nokia770-49:
            pad
    end
    section: options
        heartbeat = 10000
    end

4. You may need to add the name of your synergy server to the hosts file or eqivalent on the 770 to allow synergy to resolve "mainpc"

5. Use the following commands to switch the input method between Synergy and standard input methods. maemo-gtk-im-switch xim maemo-gtk-im-switch osso-input-method I run these from a menu using this applet http://maemo-hackers.org/wiki/OssoStatusbarCpu

Known issues

You may need to adjust the backlight timeout as the Synergy client does not disable the screen blanker

Synergy data is unencrypted. I use mine point to point over USB cable so risk is minimal. You can always tunnel over ssh