Re: N9 device seeding activity

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Javier S. Pedro
Karma: 964
2012-04-20 00:48 UTC
On Thu, 19 Apr 2012 14:54:35 -0700, Quim Gil wrote:
> I was talking about the motivation of Nokia. While I won't try to
> convince *you* about publishing at the Nokia Store, I remember that the
> problems for individuals publishing in Ovi was a topic that generated A
> LOT of heated discussions. Nowadays those problems are solved, why not
> use that infrastructure?
>
> Then you have the apps that are more experimental, rely on Developer
> Mode, etc. Fine, those are welcome too in this program - and clearly not
> in the Nokia Store.

I was not thinking about experimental applications -- mostly because QA
on AFM is IMHO stricter than QA on the Nokia Store! It is thus not a
place for unstable applications, or applications that require developer
mode*.

On the other hand and for obvious reasons, AFM does encourage open source
applications. I was not sure whether the goal was to promote more
development of open source applications or alternatively a continuation
of the Launchpad program -- where AIUI the more apps the better and it
does not matter if they are commercial or anything else. From your
remarks, I believe that at least your proposed item 1 is more akin to the
latter.

In that case, I have nothing to add.

* (Off-topic remark: Applications that require developer mode will
actually work without it when published to either Nokia Store or AFM.
It's what is not in developer mode that is a "problem". But don't worry,
I already have a device ;P )

> This is not stopping anybody for using apps.formeego.org as well. As a
> side note, this is just the peak of a strategic discussion about the
> role of community / unofficial stores in the times when publishing imn
> official stores is simple and practical. Something for another thread.

Agreed.

> Ok to not make it a requirement, but why not making it a recommendation
> for anybody with a stable app installable without developer mode? If we
> care about N9 users this is the best way to reach all of them.

Not making it a requirement is completely fine by me. Just would like to
ensure that open source applications do not have to either go through
whatever content policies the Nokia Store has these days OR otherwise be
related somehow to Qt5. Removing the requirement adds the IMO necessary
third option.


Thinking loudly, even distributing via a thread on TMO would be a nice
option, if someone was to value communication between community and
developer more than mass distribution.

Javier.

  •  Reply

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Quim Gil
Karma: 2661
2012-04-20 15:49 UTC
Maybe the simplest approach is to organize different activities and
agree on an amount devices to allocate for each.

Instead of discussing THE criteria for allocating all those devices we
could agree who organizes what and how many devices that activity is
requesting.

Also because it feels that it's not easy to pull resources for a full
fledged seeding program. That takes a serious amount if time and energy,
I can tell.

We could have:

- Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
getting an N9 instead.

- Publish your OSS app at Nokia Store. The goal being to channel to all
N9 users the good stuff that now lies elsewhere.

- Your app in Qt 5. Show your Qt 4 app and your plan to demo it running
in Qt 5 on N9.

- Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting,
infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion...

Anything else?


I could help directly on Nokia Store & Qt 5 since these tasks are
closely related to my work and the reasons why I'm able to offer these
devices. Who would want to step in for any of these tasks?

The competition and the prizes for contributors are defined by
categories, therefore it would be relatively easy to calculate the
amount of devices needed. Then we could split the rest for the remaining
activities.

What do you think?

--
Quim
  •  Reply

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Tim Samoff
Karma: 1616
2012-04-20 15:50 UTC
Quim Gil wrote:
<snip>

> What do you think?
>
> --
> Quim

This makes a LOT more sense. ;)

Tim

--
http://samoff.com

  •  Reply

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Graham Cobb
Karma: 873
2012-04-20 16:16 UTC
On Friday 20 April 2012 16:49:41 Quim Gil wrote:
> - Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
> there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
> getting an N9 instead.

If N950's are going as prizes I suspect several old-time developers may be
tempted back...

Now, I wonder how I could put a Qt skin on GPE... (that's a joke by the way --
the G is a bit of a give-way!).
  •  Reply

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Timo Härkönen
Karma: 417
2012-04-20 16:17 UTC
Hi

20. huhtikuuta 2012 18.49 Quim Gil <quim.gil@nokia.com> kirjoitti:

> Maybe the simplest approach is to organize different activities and agree
> on an amount devices to allocate for each.
>
> Instead of discussing THE criteria for allocating all those devices we
> could agree who organizes what and how many devices that activity is
> requesting.
>
> Also because it feels that it's not easy to pull resources for a full
> fledged seeding program. That takes a serious amount if time and energy, I
> can tell.
>
> We could have:
>
> - Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
> there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
> getting an N9 instead.
>

was just about to propose this :) since the n950s are a prize worth putting
some effort into and thus should give the competition a good boost


>
> - Publish your OSS app at Nokia Store. The goal being to channel to all N9
> users the good stuff that now lies elsewhere.
>
> - Your app in Qt 5. Show your Qt 4 app and your plan to demo it running in
> Qt 5 on N9.
>
> - Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting,
> infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion...
>
> Anything else?
>
>
> I could help directly on Nokia Store & Qt 5 since these tasks are closely
> related to my work and the reasons why I'm able to offer these devices. Who
> would want to step in for any of these tasks?
>
> The competition and the prizes for contributors are defined by categories,
> therefore it would be relatively easy to calculate the amount of devices
> needed. Then we could split the rest for the remaining activities.
>
> What do you think?
>

sounds good

-Timo


>
> --
> Quim
>
> ______________________________**_________________
> maemo-community mailing list
> maemo-community@maemo.org
> https://lists.maemo.org/**mailman/listinfo/maemo-**community<https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community>
>

  •  Reply

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Arie Mark
Karma: 17
2012-04-20 17:27 UTC
I agree with your Idea fully Quim.
Arie

--

Sent from my Nokia N9



On 4/20/12 11:49 AM Quim Gil wrote:

Maybe the simplest approach is to organize different activities and
agree on an amount devices to allocate for each.


Instead of discussing THE criteria for allocating all those devices we
could agree who organizes what and how many devices that activity is
requesting.


Also because it feels that it's not easy to pull resources for a full
fledged seeding program. That takes a serious amount if time and energy,
I can tell.


We could have:


- Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
getting an N9 instead.


- Publish your OSS app at Nokia Store. The goal being to channel to all
N9 users the good stuff that now lies elsewhere.


- Your app in Qt 5. Show your Qt 4 app and your plan to demo it running
in Qt 5 on N9.


- Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting,
infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion...


Anything else?



I could help directly on Nokia Store & Qt 5 since these tasks are
closely related to my work and the reasons why I'm able to offer these
devices. Who would want to step in for any of these tasks?


The competition and the prizes for contributors are defined by
categories, therefore it would be relatively easy to calculate the
amount of devices needed. Then we could split the rest for the remaining
activities.


What do you think?

--

Quim

_______________________________________________

maemo-community mailing list

maemo-community@maemo.org
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community




  •  Reply

Accepting Nomination for Community Council

Arie Mark
Karma: 17
2012-04-20 17:47 UTC
I am accepting my Nomination for the community council and would like to run.
Arie

--

Sent from my Nokia N9



On 4/20/12 1:27 PM arie@everythingn9.com wrote:

I agree with your Idea fully Quim.
Arie

--

Sent from my Nokia N9



On 4/20/12 11:49 AM Quim Gil wrote:

Maybe the simplest approach is to organize different activities and
agree on an amount devices to allocate for each.


Instead of discussing THE criteria for allocating all those devices we
could agree who organizes what and how many devices that activity is
requesting.


Also because it feels that it's not easy to pull resources for a full
fledged seeding program. That takes a serious amount if time and energy,
I can tell.


We could have:


- Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
getting an N9 instead.


- Publish your OSS app at Nokia Store. The goal being to channel to all
N9 users the good stuff that now lies elsewhere.


- Your app in Qt 5. Show your Qt 4 app and your plan to demo it running
in Qt 5 on N9.


- Prizes for great maemo.org contributors in any areas: betatesting,
infrastructure, forum/IRC support and engagement, promotion...


Anything else?



I could help directly on Nokia Store & Qt 5 since these tasks are
closely related to my work and the reasons why I'm able to offer these
devices. Who would want to step in for any of these tasks?


The competition and the prizes for contributors are defined by
categories, therefore it would be relatively easy to calculate the
amount of devices needed. Then we could split the rest for the remaining
activities.


What do you think?

--

Quim

_______________________________________________

maemo-community mailing list

maemo-community@maemo.org
https://lists.maemo.org/mailman/listinfo/maemo-community






  •  Reply

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Erik Hovland
Karma: 110
2012-04-20 17:54 UTC
On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 9:16 AM, Graham Cobb <g+770@cobb.uk.net> wrote:
> On Friday 20 April 2012 16:49:41 Quim Gil wrote:
>> - Competition. Focus on ADM / Extras / community repos. Put the N950s
>> there. I have asked how many we have). Winners could have an option of
>> getting an N9 instead.
>
> If N950's are going as prizes I suspect several old-time developers may be
> tempted back...

Here, here.

> Now, I wonder how I could put a Qt skin on GPE... (that's a joke by the way --
> the G is a bit of a give-way!).

Now you've let them into your secret plan. C'monGraham!

E

--
Erik Hovland
erik@hovland.org
http://hovland.org/
  •  Reply

Re: N9 device seeding activity

Erik Hovland
Karma: 110
2012-04-20 17:54 UTC
> What do you think?

Good ideas all around.

E

--
Erik Hovland
erik@hovland.org
http://hovland.org/
  •  Reply

Re: Accepting Nomination for Community Council

Andrew Flegg
Karma: 3326
2012-04-21 08:37 UTC
On 20 April 2012 18:47, <arie@everythingn9.com> wrote:
> I am accepting my Nomination for the community council and would like to
> run.

Could you confirm your maemo.org username? Could you outline why
you're running and what you'd like to achieve?

There are some additional questions on
http://wiki.maemo.org/Community_Council/Council_election_May_2012/Candidate_declarations

Thanks in advance,

Andrew

--
Andrew Flegg -- mailto:andrew@bleb.org  |  http://www.bleb.org/
  •  Reply
1 2 3 4 next »